XXI International Competition for Many-stringed instruments "Jurmala 2021"
I COMPETITION ORGANIZER AND OBJECTIVES
1. The XXII International Academic Music Competition “Jūrmala” For Many-stringed instruments is organized by the Jūrmala Secondary Music School (JSMS) in collaboration with the Education Department of Jūrmala City Council and Latvian National Culture Center.
The International Academic Music Competition “Jūrmala” since 1995 provides an ideal networking platform for music students and teachers of all generations. It offers to the contestants a valuable performance experience, assessed by highly qualified performing arts professionals and teachers.
II VENUE AND DATES
2. 2. The XXII International Academic Music Competition “Jūrmala 2021” For Many-stringed instruments will take place from June 7 to 11, 2021 in Jūrmala Secondary Music School, Strelnieku prospekts 30, k-1, Jūrmala. In case if will not be possible to meet in Jurmala – I and II Round will be hold Online in June, III Round on the place of venue in August. During the competition will be hold Masterclasses.
3. Plan A – Competition schedule in place of venue in Jūrmala Secondary Music School Concert hall Dubulti:
June 7 – registration, Opening Ceremony and Concert in the Chamber Hall of JSMS;
June 8 – Round I for categories A-E; Awards Ceremony for category A;
June 9 – Round II for categories B-E;
June 10 – rehearsal with orchestra (categories B, C, D, E), Masterclasses;
June 11 – Round III for categories B, C, D, E (with orchestra);
June 11 – Final Concert and Awards Ceremony for categories B, C, D, E.
4. Plan B – Competition Online schedule:
Until June 8 – Category A-E players submit video of I Round program on competition server (link will be published in organizer homepage);
June 9 – Announcement of I Round results and winners of Category A (https://muzikasskola.jurmala.lv/category/konkurss-jurmala/ );
June 10 – Online masterclasses;
Until June 15 – Category B-E players submit video of II Round program on competition server (link will be published in organizer homepage);
June 17 – Announcement of II Round results (https://muzikasskola.jurmala.lv/category/konkurss-jurmala/ );
August (in the place of venue) – rehearsal with orchestra (categories B, C, D, E);
August (in the place of venue) – Round III for categories B, C, D, E (with orchestra), Final Concert and Awards Ceremony for categories B, C, D, E.
5. Participants must adhere to the schedule, made public prior to each consecutive round. If the competitor fails to appear and/or to adhere to the competition schedule, he/she is disqualified from the competition. Jury Chairman has exclusive rights to allow or refuse late performances.
6. In Competition “Jūrmala 2021” For Many-stringed instruments can participate soloist who play – harp, guitar, kokle, kankle, kannele, kantele, gusli, cimbalom, bandore and other many-stringed instrument players. The Competition is open for musicians of all nationalities and takes place in the following age categories:
Category A – up to 10 years old (inclusive)
Category B – 11 – 13 years
Category C – 14 – 16 years
Category D – 17 – 19 years
Category E – 20 – unlimited
7. To be eligible for participation, the competitors must be of indicated age on June 7, 2021.
8. 8. Category A consists of one round. Categories B, C, D and E consist of three rounds.
9. In competition I Round, Category A-E plays program by choice, In II and III Round Category B-E plays compulsory piece, in accordance with the Competition Regulation.
10 In Round III applicants must perform the compulsory piece with orchestra.
11. All performances of all categories and all rounds are public.
12. The Competition will ensure protection of personal data and privacy according to the laws and legislations of the Republic of Latvia. By signing the application, the applicants agree that Competition performances in all rounds shall be public. Competition timetables with the names of the competitors shall be public. Progress lists and results lists with the names of the competitors shall be public.
V PROGRAM AND TIMING
13. In I Round, Category A-E can choose several contrasting pieces preferred without accompaniment (variating in tempo, also showing technical skills and cantilena). It’s allowed to play original pieces and arrangement (must show author of arrangement).
14. All competition repertoire must be performed from memory, not exceeding the indicated time limit.
15. In II Round Category B-E choose one piece from competition repertoire. Please find the competition repertoire in the “Competition Regulations” document below. It’s allowed to play original pieces and arrangement (must show author of arrangement). II Round is performed with piano accompaniment. Organizers can offer accompanist.
16. In III Round is performed the same competition repertoire as in the II Round, but with chamber orchestra.
17. Timing for I Round program:
Category A – up to 8’
Category B – up to 10’
Category C – up to 12’
Categoru D – up to 15’
Category E – up to 20’
18. Repertoire notes of II and III Rounds is published in organizer homepage (https://muzikasskola.jurmala.lv/). Pieces are meant to be used only in learning process.
19. 19. The Organizer nominates an international jury, consisting of five artists and harp, guitar, kokle and kankles teachers of international stature.
20. The names of jury members will be announced on the Organizer’s website on March 29, 2021.
21. The jury evaluates and awards the performances of all competitors in accordance with the Competition Regulations.
22. The repertoire selected by the competitor must adhere to the Competition Repertoire indicated in the Competition Regulations.
23. Jury members shall not disturb performances, unless the performance exceeds the time limit, in which case the Jury Chairman has the right to stop the participant.
24. If the professional level of performances is not sufficient, the jury has the right to withhold certain awards.
25. The results of the Competition are made public after the final meetings of the jury in each category.
26. All competitors that receive awards or honorable mentions will receive a personalized diploma stating their award level.
27. All decisions of the Competition Jury are final and beyond appeal.
VII APPLICATION FORM
28. Application must be filled electronically – https://forms.gle/3gkGXTejwxP7hTaF9
29. Participant photo must be sent to e-mail: email@example.com
30. Applications are accepted until 10.05.2021.
VIII PARTICIPATION FEE
31. All travel and accommodation expenses must be covered by the competitors.
Upon request, the Organizer may book the accommodation for the competitors.
32. Participation fee:
Category A – EUR 20
Category B – EUR 30
Category C – EUR 40
Category D – EUR 50
Category E – EUR 50
33. The participation fee must be transferred by 10.05.2021. to the following account:
Jūrmalas Mūzikas vidusskolas atbalsta fonds
34. The participation fee is non-refundable.
IX FINAL PROVISIONS
35. The Competition Regulations have been approved by the organizer and have been published in Latvian and English languages. In case of a dispute, the Latvian version of the Competition Regulations is considered as primary. The competition is announced and shall be organized in accordance with the laws and legislations of the Republic of Latvia.
36. Contact information:
Phone number +371 26405807, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number +371 29541105, e-mail: email@example.com
REPERTOIRE FOR ROUND II AND III
A.Zilinskis. Melody (“Melodija”)
V.Salaks. Arrangement of Latvian folk song „Ūdentiņš, akmentiņš”
E.Goldshtein. Three Latvian folk songs for kokle with chamber orchestra (can play one, two, ore all three parts)
Latvian folk melody “Četrpāru dancis”
Latvian folk melody “Laivinieka meita biju”
Latvian folk melody “Diždancis”
R.Dubra. Fantasy variations (“Fantāzijas variācijas”)
V.Paketuras. Concert (possible to play parts)
J.Haydn. Concerto in C – (possible to play parts)
G.F.Handel. Concert in B – dur – (possible to play parts)
G.F.Handel. Concert in B – dur – (Red. of Parfjonof) – (possible to play parts)
G.F.Vogler. Concert in C- dur – (possible to play parts)
A.Vivaldi. Concerto in C – dur – (possible to play parts)
A.Vivaldi. Concerto in D – dur – (transcr. By Pujol) – (possible to play parts)
Claude Debussy. Danse Sacrée et Profane
M.Carcassi. Composition on themes of Rossini
F. Carulli. Concert for guitar with chamber orchestra in A -dur
F. Carulli. Petit Concerto de Societé op.140
J.Rodrigo. Fantasy for a gentleman (possible to play parts)
L.Boccherini. Introduction and fandango
M.Giuliani. First Concert for guitar with chamber orchestra – (possible to play parts)
M.Castelnuovo-Tedesco. 1. Concert D – dur (possible to play parts)
A.Boieldieu. Concert C – dur